Cagwin & Dorward History

Cagwin & Dorward was established in 1955 when Tom Cagwin, a graduate in Ornamental Horticulture from Cal Poly San Louis Obispo, formed a partnership with Dave Dorward, a Stanford Business Economics graduate. Their business goal was simple: To serve customers first and foremost.

Initially launched as a landscape construction company, the new enterprise began installing landscapes for high-end residential and commercial properties in Marin County, California. The company was incorporated in 1961.

In the late 1960’s the Landscape Maintenance Business Unit was created to support the construction installation projects. Today, the maintenance business is our largest revenue center.

In 1999 our Tree Care Business Unit was formed to provide tree care services for commercial and residential customers.

Over the years Cagwin & Dorward has established itself as a reputable, full-service landscape service provider serving Northern California. Our corporate headquarters is in Novato and our service area includes 14 locations, from Santa Rosa in the north to Monterey in the south and east to Modesto and Sacramento.

Tom Cagwin and Dave Dorward retired in the early 1990’s and the company has passed on to the second generation of ownership. We remain a privately owned company consisting of seven owners.